
Looking for Alaska by John Green
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I liked almost everything about [b:The Fault in Our Stars|11870085|The Fault in Our Stars|John Green|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327880382s/11870085.jpg|16827462] so I had great expectations about Looking for Alaska. The cover, the summary, even the name - they just lured me in. But I was in for a great disappointment.
First, I have always had issues with scenes that is said to have happened a period before an unknown event. It's like:
100 days before...
Ooh. There's a countdown. We're in for an epic ride!
25 days before...
Aw. But they're happy!
5 days...
OMG! The day is getting nearer and nearer! Noooooo!
... Wait. What's gonna happen again?
Argh. Maybe authors write them to set up the anticipation... Or whatever. But it just doesn't work for me. It merely separates me from having this connection with the story.
Add to that the fact that
I read the summary and I braced myself for an in-depth characterization and a few enlightenment here and there. Because, yes, this may be a YA book, but I thought that it can still be as real as [a:Sarah Dessen|2987|Sarah Dessen|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1208460253p2/2987.jpg]'s and some others.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment