Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Review: The Opportunist


The Opportunist
The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Okay, so I'm torn whether I would like to give this one a 2 or a 4.

I've never been disgusted by a character at the same time that I was able to empathize with her. There are a lot of criticisms that can be said about Olivia. She's selfish, immature, cowardly - the list could go on.

Lines I abhor:
- How could you forget someone you loved even if I did rip his heart to shreds?
- What would it be like to forget your favorite color? —or the girl that smashed up your heart?

But then, I just couldn't help but feel for her. She really was all that, but she had a conscience. She didn't act out of malice, but out of hurt. If only she could have pulled herself together before it was too late. I'm not sure exactly if the book had really invoked the empathy or if it was simply because I know how it feels to be in Olivia's shoes, but really, I couldn't shake away the after effects. I felt really low afterwards. And I just couldn't shake the feeling... What if...?

Line I just love:
“You can only give your heart away once, after that, everything else will chase your first love”




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment